Critical Security Update for Apple Products (Feb 2014)
If you require assistance applying the software update on your UBC computer, please contact the ECE IT Support Team at firstname.lastname@example.org
To: All UBC Students, Faculty and Staff
Apple has recently released the latest version of operating systems for desktop (OS X Mavericks v10.9.2) and mobile (iOS 7.0.6 and 6.1.6) which resolves a critical security issue that affects the ability to securely send sensitive data over the internet. Submitting sensitive data online is a practice that frequently takes place in our everyday tasks, in addition to our academic and work lives. Logging into service portals and social media networks, and making payments online are just some examples.
To ensure that sensitive information remains secure and information assets are protected, we strongly recommend all Apple users to update the operating system for their Apple product to the latest version.
To update your Apple product’s operating system, please complete these following steps:
1) Ensure that you have a current backup of your device; if you don’t have one, create one now
2) Connect to Wi-Fi if you have a limited data plan
3) For iOS, go to "Settings" > "General" > "Software Update". For desktop, go to "Apple menu" > "Software Update"
The update will take a few minutes. Please note that some applications may need to be re-configured after the update.
For more information, please visit the following links:
- Updating your iOS device: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4623
- Updating your computer operating system: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6114
Chief Information Officer
The University of British Columbia
Information Technology | Engage.Envision.Enable
UBC a place of mind