How To Change Your Password
You may change your own password through a Windows workstation in the UBC_ECE domain or one of the ssh-linux servers. Whichever method you use, the new password will apply for Windows workstations in the UBC_ECE domain, Unix/Linux servers and workstations, and ECE mail servers.
The system will reject any password that is not sufficiently complex. Select a password that:
- is composed of at least 3 of the 4 of the following types of characters:
- Upper-case letters, lower-case letters, digits, and punctuation.
- Upper-case letters at the beginning of your password and digits at the end of your password do not count towards meeting this requirement.
- is different from your previous password
- is at least six characters in length
- is not similar to a word
- is not similar to your name or username
These requirements are based on Microsoft's built-in rules.
Using a Windows Workstation in the UBC_ECE Domain
- Press Ctrl-Alt-Del
- Click on Change Password...
- Ensure that Log on to is set to the UBC_ECE domain. (Changing the password for your account in any other domain, such as UBC_ECE_STAFF, does not affect your Unix / mail password.)
- Enter your old and new passwords
Using One of the ssh-linux Servers
- Use SSH to connect to ssh-linux.ece.ubc.ca
- At the shell prompt, run the passwd command
- Enter your old and new passwords when prompted
If You Forget Your Password
See Rob Ross in KAIS 4101 to change your password. Photo ID required.