How To Change Your Password
You may change your own password through a Windows workstation in the UBC_ECE domain or one of the ssh-linux servers. Whichever method you use, the new password will apply for Windows workstations in the UBC_ECE domain, Unix/Linux servers and workstations, and ECE mail servers.
The system will reject any password that is not sufficiently complex. Select a password that:
- is composed of at least 3 of the 4 of the following types of characters:
- Upper-case letters, lower-case letters, digits, and punctuation.
- Upper-case letters at the beginning of your password and digits at the end of your password do not count towards meeting this requirement.
- is different from your previous password
- is at least six characters in length
- is not similar to a word
- is not similar to your name or username
These requirements are based on Microsoft's built-in rules.
Using a Windows Workstation in the UBC_ECE Domain
- Press Ctrl-Alt-Del
- Click on Change Password...
- Ensure that Log on to is set to the UBC_ECE domain. (Changing the password for your account in any other domain, such as UBC_ECE_STAFF, does not affect your Unix / mail password.)
- Enter your old and new passwords
Using One of the ssh-linux Servers
- Use SSH to connect to ssh-linux.ece.ubc.ca
- At the shell prompt, run the passwd command
- Enter your old and new passwords when prompted
If You Forget Your Password
You can stop by the ECE IT Services office in KAIS 3070 to change your password. Photo ID required.