How To Obtain A Network Connection
You can connect your computer to the network using an Ethernet or wireless link.
If you work in an ECE office or lab, please register your computer with us. You will then be able to connect your device directly to the ECE network using an Ethernet cable.
Please submit a service request (see How To Report A Problem) containing the following information:
- Supervisor's Name: [SUPERVISOR'S NAME]
- Your Name: [FULL NAME]
- ECE Account ID: [ACCOUNT ID]
- Building and Room: [BUILDING NAME AND ROOM NUMBER]
- Wall Jack's CCT Number: [CCT NUMBER]
- Computer's MAC Address: [MAC ADDRESS]
- Prefered Hostname: [HOSTNAME]
- Machine Type: [DESKTOP / LAPTOP / PRINTER / OTHER]
- Expected Termination Date (if applicable): [YYYY-MM]
We may issue dynamic IP addresses. If you need a static IP address for your machine, briefly explain why.
MAC addresses (6 pairs of hexadecimal digits of the form xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx or xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx) can be found via one of the commands listed below (in windows run cmd and give the command in the command window):
- Windows 2000/XP/7/8: ipconfig /all
- Linux, Mac OS X: /sbin/ifconfig -a
Alternatively, you can connect to the UBC wireless network. The wireless network is managed by UBC IT, so please contact them if you need assistance.