From ECE Information Technology ServicesJump to navigationJump to search
ECE Information Technology Services
Please select one of the HOWTO collections:
- HOWTOs For Users
- HOWTOs for all users of ECE computing infrastructure
- HOWTOs For Researchers
- HOWTOs for the ECE research community
- HOWTOs For Instructors
- HOWTOs for the ECE teaching community
- Sympa mailing list service (Aug 19, 2014)
- The Sympa mailing list service for ECE and most of the Faculty of Applied Science went offline at 9:39pm PDT, August 19th. The service was returned to working order by 4:10am, August 20th.
- Kaiser network outage (Aug 19, 2014)
- Many Kaiser labs and office spaces experienced a network failure affecting computers and VoIP phones starting at ~11:35am today and lasting until ~12:50pm. The cause was found to be a failed power distribution unit. The unit has since been replaced and network connectivity restored.
- Urgent MCLD/ICICS electrical shutdown affecting ECE IT services (Aug 14, 2014 7pm - 10pm)
- As a consequence of urgent electrical maintenance affecting both the MacLeod & ICICS buildings, almost all ECE IT services (e.g., e-mail, RT, SSH cluster, home directories) will be unavailable between 7:00pm-10:00pm on August 14th. Service recovery is targeted for 11:30pm, August 14th following power restoration.
- UBC IT Scheduled Maintenance - CWL and Network (August 9 & 10, 2014)
- UBC IT will be performing quarterly campus-wide system maintenance on August 9th from 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m (CWL Account Management) and August 10th 7:00am - 4:00pm (Network). Please click on the link above to learn how this maintenance affects ECE.
- MacLeod building power outage - complete IT service outage (July 21, 2014)
- At approximately 11:30am today, a MacLeod building-wide power failure disabled access to all core ECE IT services, as well as network access in the Kaiser, MacLeod and AMPEL/Brimacombe buildings. All core ECE IT services were restored to working order as of 3:30pm today.
- Hostname resolution issue (June 2014)
- Due to a version control system bug affecting ECE's network management tool, a limited number of host records were unintentionally removed from ECE DNS, resulting in some users being unable to resolve named hosts (e.g., hostname.ece.ubc.ca>. The underlying issue was identified at ~3:30am, June 16. However, due to a CFEngine service failure, ECE DNS did not receive a record update until 12:30pm on June 16th 2014. This issue is now resolved.
- Spear Phishing Attack (June 2014)
- There has been a spear phishing attempt against ECE account holders. Please ignore a false message purportedly signed by Andre Ivanov, and if you have fallen for the attack, please change your password immediately.
- MCLD/ICICS electrical shutdown affecting ECE IT services (May 31, 2014 6am – 6pm)
- As a consequence of electrical maintenance affecting both the MacLeod & ICICS buildings, almost all ECE IT services (e.g., e-mail, RT, SSH cluster, home directories) will be unavailable between 6:00am-6:00pm on May 31st. As of 10:30pm core services are back online.
- ECE Mail, Storage & Web Outage (May 30, 2014)
- An authentication service error this afternoon resulted in outages for several ECE core services, including e-mail, storage and some web sites. The underlying issue was addressed and services are returning to normal operation. Users of ECE Linux-based systems may need to reboot their devices, or re-authenticate to their SSH sessions in order access their home and group directories.
- ECE Mail Service - Webmail Disruption (May 30, 2014)
- Some users reported problems sending mail using ECE's Ilohamail webmail interface. Receiving mail was unaffected. This issue is now resolved.
- SolidWorks Network License Manager (Mar 5, 2014)
- Some users have reported difficulties operating SolidWorks when configured with the triad network license manager. The ECE Engineering Services and IT Support Teams are investigating the matter. Updates will be posted here.
- MATLAB Licensing (Feb 21, 2014)
- Some users have reported a periodic license manager error when attempting to use MATLAB. Additional details are now available.