Kaiser Server Room Network Failure (Mar 2013)
At 2 am on 21 March 2013, a network switch in the Kaiser server room spontaneously failed. Service was restored at 4:15 am by power-cycling the switch.
As a result, the following services were unavailable during the outage:
- Authentication to the UBC_ECE domain
- The ability to change account passwords
- ssh-linux5, ssh-linux6, ssh-linux7
- Electronic Software Distribution
- Graduate Application Data Store
- Several software license servers
- CMC CAD tools
- Several research groups' servers hosted in the Kaiser server room
Update 22 March 2013
The same network switch failed again 22 March 19:33. We have confirmed that it is due to failing hardware, and have replaced it with another unit. Service was restored just before midnight.