From ECE Information Technology ServicesJump to navigationJump to search
ECE Information Technology Services
Please select one of the HOWTO collections:
- HOWTOs For Users
- HOWTOs for all users of ECE computing infrastructure
- HOWTOs For Researchers
- HOWTOs for the ECE research community
- HOWTOs For Instructors
- HOWTOs for the ECE teaching community
- Replacement of McAfee Encryption Management Service
- Until recently, UBCIT has been using the McAfee Encryption Management Service to help keep track of the keys used to encrypt the storage devices of many computers at ECE running Windows. UBCIT has retired this service and is now using new tools for key management. In some cases, implementation of the change will require IT staff to briefly access your computer and make some changes to its configuration. IT staff will be contacting affected users to arrange a convenient time for this. As always,
- Any e-mail announcement regarding your ECE account should cross-reference a website with *.ece.ubc.ca in the URL. You should be suspicious of any message that does not.
- Never reveal your password to any person. IT Services staff will never ask you for your password.
- All legitimate ECE services will use encrypted connections for logging in. (HTTPS, SSH, and IMAPS are examples of secure protocols.) Any service that asks you to enter your ECE password over an unencrypted HTTP connection or to send your password by e-mail is fraudulent.
- If in doubt about a suspicious message purporting to be from UBC or ECE IT Services, we encourage you to ask us.
- Kaiser power outage (February 20, 2021)
- There is a power outage planned for the Kaiser building on Saturday, February 20, from 10 am to 2 pm. This outage is necessary as part of the MacLeod construction project.
- File and mail migration (2020)
- In October and November 2020, ECE IT will be performing migrations of two major systems that will affect ECE users. A file migration involves some disruption during each user's cutover period. The ECE e-mail migration will happen seamlessly and with negligible disruption for the majority of users.
- File Migration (2021)
- Throughout April, May, and June 2021, ECE IT is replacing our file server, which is used to store the home directories of ECE accounts as well as some other files.