From ECE Information Technology ServicesJump to navigationJump to search
ECE Information Technology Services
Please select one of the HOWTO collections:
- HOWTOs For Users
- HOWTOs for all users of ECE computing infrastructure
- HOWTOs For Researchers
- HOWTOs for the ECE research community
- HOWTOs For Instructors
- HOWTOs for the ECE teaching community
- MCLD/ICICS electrical shutdown affecting ECE IT services (May 31, 2014 6am – 6pm)
- As a consequence of electrical maintenance affecting both the MacLeod & ICICS buildings, almost all ECE IT services (e.g., e-mail, RT, SSH cluster, home directories) will be unavailable between 6:00am-6:00pm on May 31st. Please click the link above to learn more.
- Campus-wide network outage (May 7, 2014)
- There was a failure of the UBC core routers, with campus-wide impact. See the UBC IT Bulletin for more information.
- Wireless Service Upgrade at Kaiser and Macleod Buildings (May 6, 2014)
- Over the last 8 weeks, the UBC IT Network Services has completed a wireless upgrade initiative in the Macleod and Fred Kaiser Buildings. This initiative addresses the aging hardware and significant wireless service gaps in the two buildings.
- Network disruption in Kaiser 3rd Floor (May 5, 2014)
- Hosts on the third floor of Kaiser appear to be having difficulty obtaining DHCP leases. Network Management Centre is currently investigating.
- Network disruption in Brimacombe Building (May 3-5, 2014)
- Due to a power outage in the Brimacombe Building on Saturday May 3, the network bridge to ECE stopped working.
- Multi-service Interruption - ECE Virtualization Platform – Memory Failure (Apr 25, 2014)
- In the morning of April 25, ECE’s server virtualization platform experienced a hardware memory failure, destabilizing several dependent virtual servers. Several services, including ECE's E-mail service were affected. The underlying issue was resolved at ~4pm on April 25, 2014
- ECE E-mail Service - Message Delivery Delays (Apr 24, 2014)
- The ECE e-mail service experienced demand overload in the afternoon of April 24th, 2014. The ECE mail delivery queue was reduced to serviceable levels as of 6pm, April 24th, 2014.
- ECE MATLAB license server was down (Apr 17, 2014)
- The ECE MATLAB license server experienced a temporary failure earlier this morning. As a result, some users with MATLAB installations pointing to ECE's license server were unable to use MATLAB. The issue was resolved at ~12:30pm on April 17, 2014.
- ECE website (www.ece.ubc.ca) was down (Apr 9, 2014)
- The ECE departmental website was affected by a database connectivity issue, starting just before 3:19pm, April 9, 2014. The website found at www.ece.ubc.ca was not available for ~2 hours.
- Network DHCP misconfiguration (Apr 8, 2014)
- Due to a switch auto-configuration error, an unauthorized DHCP server was introduced on a single ECE VLAN. This resulted in incorrect IPv4 address lease allocations for some hosts on the 4th floor of the Kaiser Building, with a few individuals reporting difficulty accessing the local network and internet by wire. The situation is now corrected.
- Database Server Outage (Apr 8, 2014)
- Due to an unexpected complication from a configuration change, the ECE PostgreSQL database server was unavailable between 05:20 and 05:50. Dependent services such as Request Tracker and MRBS were temporarily unavailable as a result.
- ECE E-mail Service - Message Delivery Delays (Apr 2, 2014)
- The ECE e-mail service experienced demand overload in the morning of April 2nd, 2014. The ECE mail delivery queue was reduced to serviceable levels as of 12pm, April 2nd, 2014.
- Upcoming Change - Shared group data move to UBC TeamShare (April 7, 2014)
- Shared group data for administrative and engineering services groups will move from the ECE file server to UBC's TeamShare file sharing service on April 7th, 2014.
- Default Debian Linux Shell - dash to bash - change successful (Mar 26, 2014)
- The default shell for all ECE-managed Debian Linux workstations and servers was successfully changed from dash to bash on March 26th, 2014.
- ECE E-mail Service - Message Delivery Delays & Rejections (Mar 14, 2014)
- The ECE e-mail service experienced demand overload starting ~11:30am today. The cause has been determined, and the issue was resolved at ~3:00pm PDT on March 14, 2014.
- Storage Authorization Failure (Mar 13, 2014)
- ECE's authentication system experienced a service error starting ~2pm today. The error prevented access to NFS storage exports, and affected multiple ECE services. The issue was resolved ~3:45pm today.
- SolidWorks Network License Manager (Mar 5, 2014)
- Some users have reported difficulties operating SolidWorks when configured with the triad network license manager. The ECE Engineering Services and IT Support Teams are investigating the matter. Updates will be posted here.
- Critical Security Update for Apple Products (Feb 27, 2014)
- Apple has recently released the latest version of operating systems for desktop (OS X Mavericks v10.9.2) and mobile (iOS 7.0.6 and 6.1.6) which resolves a critical security issue that affects the ability to securely send sensitive data over the internet. Update instructions are available.
- MATLAB Licensing (Feb 21, 2014)
- Some users have reported a periodic license manager error when attempting to use MATLAB. Additional details are now available.